Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 10 02:45:05 EST 2003

Roman Suzi wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>
> >       if C1: x elif C2: y else: z
>
> It is not very clear in nested variant as the code is not readable
> any more... Guido can drop indents in Python as well.

Well, sure, I wouldn't go nuts over the chained syntax either, but it's
the logical extension and _if you accent the basic syntax_ it's the
right way to make it multiway instead of simply two-way.

	if C: x elif D: y else: z

certainly looks better than

	if C: x else: if D: y else: z

The `else: if' is screaming, "Change me to an `elif'."

Granted if you don't like the `if C: x else: y' approach in the first
place then this is going to be even less appealing.

> Also, if this is to happen, next logical step will be this:
>
> try: x except: y

That's a logical fallacy known as the "slippery slope argument."  I'm
not seeing the slippery slope here; I don't see people clamoring for
try...except statements to be bound up in exceptions.

Besides, does it offend you that

	if condition:
	    doSomething

can be written as

	if condition: doSomething

?  It seems _that_ was the first step down the "slippery slope," if
indeed there was one (which I don't think there is).

/  \ No man quite believes in any other man.
\__/ H.L. Mencken
    Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/
 Alcyone Systems, San Jose, California.