Case sensitivity

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun Feb 23 05:32:52 EST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
> news:wxH5a.215215$0v.6019898 at news1.tin.it...
>> I don't want the compiler to "guess what I _mean_"
>
> How about an editor that guessed that rawinput (with whatever
> capitalization) or Raw_input (or any other variant) might mean
> raw_input and ask, at least once?  Similarly for StringIO?  Given that
> Python 2, at least, will not go case insensitive, perhaps there is a
> technical solution that would help most everybody.

I have no problem with an *editor* trying to be smart and
helpful (as long as I can turn that off if and when it gets
too annoying rather than helpful).  Attempts to "spellcheck
and correct [or suggest corrections] on the fly" have proved
more annoying than helpful to me personally in the past, but
those were mostly in word processors; perhaps a programming
editor is in a better position to help.  And besides, I do
know that many people love the autocorrection feature of word
processors, even if I personally don't.

Alex