PEP308: Yet another syntax proposal

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Mon Feb 10 18:09:58 EST 2003

Aahz wrote:

> That's still not addressing my point: how often is short-circuit
> evaluation needed?

This is pure rhetoric.  It's impossible to answer.

Otherwise, tell us what is is the "correct" answer?  10% of the time?  1%?
0.1%?  There is no correct answer.

How often are list comprehensions needed?  Booleans needed?

Python already wisely recognizes the need for short-circuit within
expressions.  But and/or is not powerful enough.

 > That's the *only* reason to consider conditional
> expressions rather than a new builtin conditional function.

Not true, as I and others have explained at length elsewhere.  Readability
and maintainability are SERVED by factoring out common sub-expressions from
the more verbose forms:

     if condition1:
         if condition2
                 targetVar1 = result1