[OT] Re: Python training time (was)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 22:00:11 EST 2003

[Martijn Faassen]
> US perceptions of the world are interesting in their peculiarity
> sometimes.
> Perhaps that's just because really *my* views are peculiar. :) But
> perhaps it's also due to a lack of input of other perspectives into
> your memepool.

Oh no!  In American schools, I was thorougly educated about the reserved
Brits sweeping chimneys on holiday, and the dour Dutch floating giant wooden
shoes on their flooded streets to ward off Asian conquerors.  In the end,
though, Americans were putting men on the moon while Euros were still
killing cats in a tragically wrong-headed attempt to end the plague you've
been suffering the last 500 years, and so the American Attitude prevails:
some perspectives aren't worth hearing.

> It's easier for smaller countries to get such input.

Indeed, we'll be happy to sell them all the input they can afford, then cram
down an extra eight for free.

> Oh, and of course ESR also holds peculiar views not shared by lots of
> others in the US -- then again, his set of peculiar views could've only
> arisen in the US. :)

Damn straight.  Just remember that this is the same country that brings you
Python.

there's-a-fine-line-between-americanism-and-idiocy-ly y'rs  - tim