where python is slower?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Feb 5 11:38:08 EST 2003

"Brett g Porter" <BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com> writes:

> And, as Tim Peters has said many times in these parts, one big benefit of
> Python over C is that you can write and discard bunches of algorithms that
> aren't adequate for whatever reason before you get the first C
> implementation working. Except that I'm sure there was some fractional
> winkage in there someplace.

I like this quote (not really to do with optimization):

    I never got beyond starting the data-structures in C++, I never
    got beyond seeing how it would work in Scheme. I finished it in
    one Python -filled afternoon, and discovered the idea sucked big
    time. I was glad I did it in Python, because it only cost me one
    afternoon to discover the idea sucks.
                                           -- Moshe Zadka, 13 May 2000

Cheers,
M.

--
  We did requirements and task analysis, iterative design, and user
  testing. You'd almost think programming languages were an interface