Perl Vs Python

Bo M. Maryniuck b.maryniuk at forbis.lt
Wed Feb 26 04:52:37 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 02:05, John Smith wrote:
> Hello:
>   do Perl & Python do similar things?
>   What should be the rationalle to one or the other?

- Try to read your own Perl code one year later and
  you'll be surprised how *ugly* Perl is.
- Perl is not ObjectOriented. It *looks like* OO.
- You can not provide the bytecode for end-customer
  if you would not like to show him the sources.
- Do you like this schizophrenic syntax?:
map{($_[0])?s/\s\s+/,/gs:$_;($?)?push(@M,$_):$_;(/wap:/)?$?=$$:$_;}split($/,`cat /proc/meminfo`);

<IMHO>
- Perl is fast (interpreter), but not designed for big applications.
  It is good for scripts up to 100 codelines.
</IMHO>

--
Regards, Bogdan

In short, at least give the penguin a fair viewing. If you still don't
like it, that's ok: that's why I'm boss. I simply know better than you
do.
		-- Linus "what, me arrogant?" Torvalds, on c.o.l.advocacy