Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Feb 7 16:16:25 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:47, holger krekel wrote:
>     result = obj() if callable(obj)
>
> should indeed set the result to None if the condition evalutes
> to false.  I don't think there is any other sensible result
> other than 'None'.  But of course,
>
>     result = obj() if callable(obj) else None
>
> would be more explicit.  The question is whether my suggestion
> has enough use cases and is thus practical enough.

To me (obj() if callable(obj)) makes sense without the else.  It's like
a function that implicitly returns None, or the .get() method on
dictionaries (without the second argument).  Though admittedly I did not
recognize this behavior when I first learned Python, and it was only
later that I started depending on None being returned implicitly.

--
Ian Bicking  ianb at colorstudy.com  http://colorstudy.com
4869 N. Talman Ave., Chicago, IL 60625  /  773-275-7241