which Python XSLT module?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed Feb 5 19:11:50 EST 2003

> The "Just work" one.  Install with a .exe or unzip somewhere with
> clear instructions, like "put the unzipped directory in
> C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages" or whatever.  And of course as much
> docs and tutorials as possible but hey, if it works already then I am
> willing to study source code if the source is in Python.

OK, then I feel that I can plug one of my own projects:
http://pyana.sourceforge.net

There is a nice Windows installer for Python 2.0.x to
Python 2.2.x:

and there are some examples:
http://pyana.sourceforge.net/examples/

Plus I am always willing to help.

[snipped]

Without knowing your problem domain, it is hard to say how you should
approach the problem. XSLT might be a good fit but it is another
language that you will have to learn (thought it may be worth learning
for other reasons).

I wouldn't worry about SAX/DOM/XSLT performance until you encounter an
actual problem. SAX is nice for some problems, but unless your problem
is fairly simple, you will have to do a lot of state management
yourself.

As someone who knows XSLT, I'd probably approach the problem by getting
my XSLT right on the command line (FYI, Pyana has a command line
interface) and then worry about integrating it into my Python workflow.

There are a number of tools out there to help you write XSLT scripts.

Cheers,
Brian