PEP 308: A PEP Writer's Experience - CON

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Sat Feb 8 15:58:02 EST 2003

Jack Diederich wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:31:46PM +0000, Andrew Koenig wrote:
> > Seriously, it
> > often seems that the smallest changes generate the most controversy.
>
> There is a long post on a BSD list somewhere that compares it to
> painting a shed.   Everyone understands the concept and will give
> an opinion on the color.  It is impossible to paint a shed by
> comittee because there are too many opinions.  It is much easier
> to get a committee to approve a radical new widget because they
> just up or down vote it as a whole.
>
> Having a BDFL is how the shed painting problem is side stepped altogether.
> In this case the BDFL asked the committee to up or down vote the color red.
>
> Hillarity ensues.

I think it's more that this has been discussed for a couple of years now and
he wants people to stop whining.  And he obviously doesn't have a strong
oppinion of it either way.  Some people think it's important to have it
one way or the other and so he lets them (instead of him) argue
about the color <wink>.

    holger