Best way to test if a file descriptor is valid?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 24 22:57:29 EST 2003

Noah wrote:

> I have a method that is passed an open file descriptor.
> This file descriptor may have been opened from a file or
> from a serial device or whatever. Is there a good way to test if
> the file descriptor is valid and available for read/write?

Why not just use it as you would normally and then just catch and handle
the OSError/IOError that gets raised if it's invalid?

/  \ I thought I might never see another Saturday night.
\__/ Robert S. MacNamara
    Bosskey.net: Aliens vs. Predator 2 / http://www.bosskey.net/avp2/
 A personal guide to Aliens vs. Predator 2.