openwatcom compiler

Zoltan Felleg zoltan.felleg at user.hu
Tue Feb 25 05:39:33 EST 2003

hello list,

i'm planning to make a python distribution compiled with the openwatcom
compiler. i have compiled the core python dll, and a few other dlls yet,
without much problems. if everything goes well, the first (more or less)
useable python.exe will be created over the weekend. however i have a
few questions on the topic:

Anyone out there planning/doing the same thing?
Anyone interested in making this a (semi)official distribution?
Anyone interested in testing/helping/...?

the questions arise because: i do have a need of creating a python
distribution without the visual c++ compiler. (one of our projects
should be compilable by everyone on windows platforms, and it includes
some c extension modules and modifications to the win32all extensions).
now if someone have plans to do the same thing, it would be nice to join
our efforts. making it an "official" distribution would mean (for me)
lots of testing of the code, which would be very helpful. (if any core
python developer reads this, please comment on the
possibility/reality/requirements/... of this dream).

regards, zoltan