Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 10 13:18:25 EST 2003

Gerhard Häring
> > Wouldn't it be great if mailman attached the link to the
> > archived mail with each mail?  Thus you could have easily
> > pointed me to that other message. [...]
>
> Like, say a "Message-ID" header field? :-) So you could just, say, hit
Esc-l
> (Locate) and enter the Message-ID in your newsreader? :-)

Actually, something a bit more.  Posts expire, but the mailing
list archive may last a very long time.  If there was some way
to include a resolver for a message-id, saying that
 http://python.org/c.l.py/messid
in combination with the message id could be used to retrieve
a message "indedfinitely" then it would be easier to make
strong links (permalinks) between articles.

Of course, that would entail changing hte usenet protocols
to discover that resolver, and I don't have the time or
enough interest to do so.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com