OT - Python with CVS or SourceSafe

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Sun Feb 2 04:04:18 EST 2003

Hi,

I am working on several largish projects using Python (generally editing w/
PythonWin fwiw) for the basic logic and VB for interfaces. I can see that I
am on the verge of a meltdown, and need some soft of versioning system to do
some experiments with my projects. Plus, I am considering switching data
formats from pickled dictionaries to XML, but i need to keep versions around
to support the former for at least the next few months.

So, I am interested in whether people are using Visual SourceSafe, or if
they are using CVS in win32, what the benefits and drawbacks are w/r/t
Python. Also, I found a PythonWin patch from 2.1 days for supporting
SourceSafe checkins, but no hint as to whether this was now part of
PythonWin, or if it should be.

I have tried a number of times to use CVS but I never had much luck getting
started as the documentation was either a mess or not found by me.  Last,
while VSS is expensive, my time is worth a lot to me, so if CVS takes
forever to learn or use, that is an important consideration, although the
same can be said of VSS.

Thanks for suggestions,

-doug