script->service.exe

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 26 09:13:44 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tomas Brixi" <tomas_brixi at yahoo.com>
To: "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: script->service.exe

> > > I have a question regarding script implementing a windows service
> > converted into .exe.
> > > When I install the script a using pyservice.exe and log something the
> > event viewer displays
> > > correctly
> > > the messages I want to log. I know module service util is build into
> > pyservice.exe
> > >
> > > But when I convert the script using py2exe I get all logs displayed in
> > event viewer like this one:
> > > ---------------
> > > The description for Event ID ( 4098 ) in Source ( myservice ) cannot
be
> > found. The local computer
> > > may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files
> > display messages from a
> > > remote computer.....
> > > ---------------
> > > Maybe I have forgot to include something. Can anyone help me?
> > >

> > It's likely you need to arrange for the win32service.pyd file to be
included
> > in your distribution, since I believe it's that module that defines the
log
> > message formats. Note that this is a guess, though.
>
> py2exe correctly includes win32service.py during .exe building the process
so this file is not
> missing. I only found that servicemanager module which contains functions
LogMsg and LogInfoMsg
> those I use is a module built into pythonservice.exe. So it maybe a
problem of py2exe.

I can't *find* a win32service.py in my distribution. Are you *sure* it's
including the .pyd file I mention as well as the expected
win32serviceutil.py? If so then I'm stumped and you'll have to ask somebody
more familiar with installer+win32all.

The reason I suspect this is because the log message formats are usually
stored in a .dll or a .exe, and you imply you are already seeing
pythonservice.exe carried across as part of your distribution.

regards
Register for PyCon now!            http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html