I like Unicode more than I used to...

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Feb 24 21:42:40 EST 2003

On Sunday 23 February 2003 04:59 pm, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Stuart> 'Unicode capable terminal' actually means 'Terminal that
>     Stuart> understands utf-8 encoded sequences of bytes'.
>
> Yes, my fault for the loose language...

Actually, what I was surprised by is the idea that the Python interpreter
cannot determine what codec the terminal application understands. I would've
expected this to be one of the things you can figure out from the
environment.  In particular, I would expect that if such a mechanism didn't
exist for ASCII terminals, that being Unicode capable would include some sort
of sensing API.

Also, I wonder if this in some way a fundamental obstacle, or is it merely
that the Python interpreter doesn't implement such sensing.  Which suggest
the question of "why not?".

It just surprises me that it doesn't "just work".  The code used to deal with
it isn't really that hard, but I didn't expect to need it.

Cheers,
Terry