James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Tue Feb 11 03:50:21 EST 2003

holger krekel wrote:

> Do you really know the python parser?
>
> Your statements are true for more general parsers.  The Python one
> focuses on simplicity (as so many other parts of python do).
> I had a detailed discussion with Andrew Koenig about this, already.

MY MISTAKE.  The pgen program evidently cannot produce unambigous tables from
the if/else expression form WITHOUT surrounding parentheses.

Most of my background is with LALR(1) parsers, which I am pretty sure can
handle the ambiguity.  I understand now that Python uses an LL(1) and I did
not fully appreciate the limitation of that approach.

Looks like it's moot anyway.

Regards

--jb

--