win32file.pyd Device Error on W95

Marie-Claude Savoie marie-claude.savoie at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 18 09:58:51 EST 2003

Hi all,

I had some serial IO code that was working under W95 and later and had
created it with python
2.0 and pythonwin 135.  Using the same code now with python 2.2 and
pythonwin 146 I get a problem on W95 but not on W98 or later.

I have tracked the problem down to win32file.pyd using dependency walker.
The Winsock has been updated to 2.  The error message that I get is

ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
functioning.

I tried using the win32file from build 135 but it caused an error as it
requires python 2.0 and
not 2.2 which I am using now.

In a thread a couple of days ago Wouter van Ooijen also has a problem with
W95 and win32file. It
seems slightly different but may be related.  Something was changed in
win32file between build 135 and
build 146  that is now causing it to crash on W95.

I need my code to work with W95 and above, and this is causing serious
problems.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gordon Williams