Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Feb 24)

Nick Vargish nav at adams.patriot.net
Wed Feb 26 09:53:13 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> Oh god!  Not comp.object.  _Anything_ but comp.object. :-(

Yeah, I actually went there, and against my better judgement posted a
couple of comments there. What a nest of vipers (not pythons!) that
newsgroup is...

To paraphrase one poster, "I used Python for two years, and it was
incredibly productive and powerful, but for reasons I can't verbalize
it just sucked."

To paraphrase another, "It's not Lisp, so it sucks."

To paraphrase another, "Indenting for structure is more error prone
than explicit delimiter characters. And it's slow. So it sucks."

And one more, "No commercial quality software can ever be written
using a dynamically typed language. So it sucks."

Basically, there's a bunch of people there with strongly-held beliefs,
and any attempt at discussion will be considered an attempt to
barbeque their personal sacred cows.

Nick

--
# sigmask.py  ||  version 0.2  ||  2003-01-07  ||  Feed this to your Python.
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAqbusjpu/ofu?','')