Joining strings versus augmented assignment

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Feb 3 23:01:37 EST 2003

> From: Bengt Richter [mailto:bokr at oz.net]
>
> IMO we need to keep in mind that the language is not defined
> by accidental
> details of implementation, and try to avoid leading people
> into believing
> that bad peformance for certain operations is necessarily
> cast in concrete.

Indeed. If you are using Psyco for example, string concatenation is converted into a list join whereever possible.

So in that case, the two are fairly equivalent.

Nonetheless, I often find building up a string in a list and then joining it to be better both conceptually and in terms of readability. String concatenation can start to look messy very quickly ...

Tim Delaney