Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Mon Feb 3 21:08:00 EST 2003

Andy Freeman wrote:
> "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message
> news:<%In%9.4882$6P2.543391 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>>
>> I don't create a more abstract class until it is proven that I need
>> one.
>
> Do you write inline code for matrix multiplication or do you use a
> (small) set of procedures?

I have a matrix class with plenty of inline functions.  I haven't needed to
optimize anything yet.  When I do put on the optimization hat, I break out
the matrix into individual operations according to what the CPU does well.
That's a pretty late stage of the development game though.

> The "need" is to avoid writing basically the same thing multiple
> times.
> Procedures satisfy that need in some contexts and templates satisfy it
> in others.  There is no difference in kind.

I know that I need the matrix over and over again.  If I didn't, if I only
needed dot products between vectors, I wouldn't write a matrix class.  In
fact, I didn't!  Nor did I implement up-front all the things you can do with
matrices.  I didn't need an inverse for a looong time.  As far as I'm
concerned, the proper way to implement functionality is by lazy evaluation.
Otherwise you are wasting your time theorizing about what functions you
*might* need.  Stick to what you *do* need.

20% of the world is real.