[OT] Re: Python training time (was)

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Feb 4 03:45:45 EST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy)" <tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1044330369.2713.python-list at python.org...
>> From: Laura Creighton [mailto:lac at strakt.com]
>>
>> Sometimes we screw up big time, sometimes we hit it on the nose.
>
> I've always wondered why hitting something on the nose was a Good
> Thing(TM). Surely we can come up with a non-violent solution to
> problems?
>
> I think it refers to hitting a nail smack in the middle of the hammer
> head and driving it straight in.

No, that metaphor is "hit the nail on the head," or "nail it."  In fact,
come to think of it, I think either the original poster is guilty of a mixed
metaphor, or Americans don't use the metaphor he's using.

20% of the world is real.