greed (was)

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Feb 5 18:10:59 EST 2003

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Linux is just a kernel. It can't really do anything about being more
> user-friendly. The software bundled by the distributers can get more
> user-friendly. They can probably do it without creating something as
> friable as the registry, and remaining expert-friendly.

Linux is a community.  Clearly, a community can do something about its OS
standards.  Of course you're working with a decentralized, open community,
which has its advantages and disadvantages.

> The Open Source community is the only one that's trying to solve power
> user + newbie design problems simultaneously.

I don't agree.  For 3D graphics, W2K and beyond do just fine for the power
user, and they're much more newbie friendly.  To say that Microsoft doesn't
deal with any power user issues is silly, and they're way ahead of Linux on
ease of use.

20% of the world is real.