Why use Python instead of Perl?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou DLNXPEGFQVEB at spammotel.com
Wed Feb 5 18:07:31 EST 2003

On 5 Feb 2003 15:50:39 GMT, rumours say that Gerhard Häring
<gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net> might have written:

>Btw. Python can be learnt really quick! I wrote my first Python in two hours,
>*including* reading the tutorial :-) It involved pulling certain stuff out of
>the cache directory of a HTTP proxy server.

Ha ha!  Same first project here.  The current version of that first
project is split as one XML-RPC server --running in every squid box in
my company-- and the (identical for Irix, Linux or Windows...)
multithreaded client (one thread for each squid requesting files, main
thread to find possible duplicates using MD5 and storing to the local
filesystem; one Queue; one lock object to avoid local file name
collisions); my fellow administrators can retrieve whatever they want
from the cachedirs...

Useful if your middle name is Bofh :)

PS Until I tried it in Python, I never had messed with multithreading in
any other language.  It still amazes me how easy it is.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Real email address: 'dHpvdEBzaWwtdGVjLmdy\n'.decode('base64')