Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Fri Feb 7 17:52:38 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:48:46AM +0200, Kirill Simonov wrote:
> * Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us>:
> >   I don't.  In fact, I'm not even sure it makes sense.  Source files that
> > are using non-ASCII encodings are precisely the ones that this feature
> > benefits.  It allows anyone to look at these files and actually *read* them.
>
> The only editor that can read the encoding declaration is emacs. Do you
> assume that *anyone* use emacs?
>
> The only benefit from encoding declarations is the ability to write
> Unicode literals in the chosen encoding. That's all.

  Who said anything about -reading- the encoding declarations?  Any half-way
decent editor should be able to -write- them.  If people are already
including non-ASCII in their source files, I assume their terminal/GUI
already knows how to display it properly.

  My point is that this is not an undue burden on developers, and there is
no reason someone should decide it is a high enough barrier to not use
non-ASCII characters in their source, let alone not use Python.

  Jp

--
C/C++/Java/Perl/Python/Smalltalk/PHP/ASP/XML/Linux (User+Admin)
Genetic Algorithms/Genetic Programming/Neural Networks