Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Mon Feb 3 15:04:11 EST 2003

> It's no problem with new scripts. But is there any reason to introduce
> this useful feature by force? Requiring everyone to add one line to
> every script they wrote?

Without an explicit declaration, it is impossible to accurately
determine most encodings. Remember your Python Zen:

	"In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess."

The effort required to do that doesn't strike me as significant. How
many total source files do you have that have non-ASCII characters in
them?

Cheers,
Brian