PEP 308: Rejection of C ?? T || F

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Feb 14 23:48:06 EST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Half wrong, right, don't know.  Sheffer used | in 1913 for his
> postulates for Boolean algebra.  By Boolean duality (where you swap T
> with F and and with or), p|q can be consistently interpreted as either
> not(p or q) or not(p and q), but I this the former is how it is
> thought of more often.

And the symbol when used that way is actually called the "Sheffer
stroke," though I've only seen it used to indicate the latter meaning,
not (p and q).

/  \ There was one thing I didn't show / I love him and he doesn't know
\__/ Zhane
    Bosskey.net: Return to Wolfenstein / http://www.bosskey.net/rtcw/
 A personal guide to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.