Python for small systems (ucLinux)

Chris Tavares cct at tavaresstudios.com
Thu Feb 13 02:10:12 EST 2003

"David Brown" <david at no.westcontrol.spam.com> wrote in message
news:b2djc9$vdp$1 at news.netpower.no...
[... snip ...]
> Basically, what I need is the python byte-code interpreter, along with a
few
> critical libraries.
>
> Since the alternative (write the app in C/C++) will undoutably take more
> time and effort than writing the app in python, I am happy to work on such
> system, rather than expecting to find a complete, ready-to-run package,
but
> I would much prefer to find out about existing efforts and opinions as to
> how feasable this is before wading in myself.

Do you *have* to have python, or are you just looking for an interpreter so
you don't have to write in C/C++? While I love Python, for truly limited
environments you probably can't beat Lua ( http://www.lua.org ). The
interpreter compiles to less than 100k, and it's explicitly designed to let
you separate the parser/compiler from the runtime.

-Chris