global threading.Lock not locking correctly?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Feb 4 13:19:51 EST 2003

In article <mjvv3v4h397ih1detpmrjucolttdt4dq8j at 4ax.com>, Afanasiy wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:16:48 -0500, Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>[Afanasiy]
>>> # My logic tells me this should never print 'OOPS', yet it does.
>>> # Can someone tell me why? (P.S. this is simplified example code)
>>
>>But is this the actual code you ran?
>
> Yes.
>
> I am replying to this just to answer your question. My question was
> already answered. However, I am now curious what I should have said
> instead of "P.S. this is simplified example code". I am finding it
> difficult to communicate here and I consider my English excellent.

The question was whether you had actually run the exact code
posted or not.  This may seem silly, but what a surprising
number of people do is:

 1) run a program which doesn't do what they expect.

 2) post a question in which they don't insert the exact code
    that was run, rather they type in code from memory or while
    looking at a listing.

 3) we spend the next two days finding typos in the posted code
    that weren't in the code that was run and have nothing to do
    with the original problem.

So, what people were trying to figure out was whether the code
you was actually missing the ()'s or whether that was just a
typo when you typed the program into the posting.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Okay... I'm going
                                  at               home to write the "I HATE