PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 12 22:05:18 EST 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

> This happens to fix the hole in old ternary idiom, but it is _not_
> introducing a new ternary form or other complex context-dependent
> stuff.
> If
>     (x and [y] or [b])[0]
>
> is understandable, ...

It's "understandable," but it's not very readable, and it's hardly a
good substitute for a genuine bulitin conditional operator.  The whole
point of one is to increase readability; this _decreases_ readability
(as does the other form involving and/or and lambdas).

/  \ Will I disappoint my future / If I stay
\__/ Sade
    Bosskey.net: Return to Wolfenstein / http://www.bosskey.net/rtcw/
 A personal guide to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.