Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Simo Salminen simo_salminen at iki.fi
Sat Feb 8 07:06:14 EST 2003

* Jp Calderone [Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:19:46 -0500]
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:00:48PM +0000, Simo Salminen wrote:
>> Exactly. This change makes writing high-bit ASCII comments _very_
>> unpractical, and breaks old code for no good reason.
>
>   There is no such thing as high-bit ASCII.  If you don't understand the
> issue, why do you think you can comment relevantly upon it?

(everything below is probably already said in other posts)

Sorry for using bad term, I ment characters using all 8-bits. For
me, the issue here is that I should understand encodings and all the
pitfalls of it just to use some non-ASCII characters in comments.

I don't have to specify encodings for my C/Java/Whatever source
comments, and reasons why I would have to do that in Python really
don't make sense to me.

I understand in makes world better place and all that, but breaking
existent code for better comment encoding is, as said, too extreme.

If someone would try to make this change to languages with bigger
audiences, like C or Java, it would have snowball's chance in hell to
be approved. (I know this argument is weak, but I had to say it)

--
simo salminen