Case sensitivity

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Feb 21 20:32:16 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Sez you.  Walk into any bar and order "a coke".  What will they
> serve you?  Oh you say they can't HEAR you miscapitalized it? Well,
> well -- what a surprise!  OK, say the din in the bar is so
> terrible you have to jot down your order on paper -- do you
> really think the bartended will be nonplussed if you write
>
>    A COKE
>
> or
>    a coke
>
> rather than painfully mixing case?  Human beings aren't really
> case-sensitive, unless they're being deliberately pedantic for
> the purpose of irking you...

Again, you're simply ignoring the situations in which such confusions
can happen.  If I post to Usenet and talk about "buying some coke," it
may indeed very unclear from context whether I mean a soft drink or an
illegal drug.

/  \ There are defeats more triumphant than victories.
\__/ Montaigne
    Python chess module / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/chess/
 A chess game adjudicator in Python.