Creating UUIDs (GUIDs) portably

Ondrej Krajicek krajicek at ics.muni.cz
Mon Feb 24 02:47:27 EST 2003

Hello,

I'd bet I must be missing something obvious, but I
could not find out if (and how) one can create
UUIDs/GUIDs in Python.

I work on a project which relies heavilly on UUIDs
(as object and transaction identifiers...) which should
run in (both) Windows200x and Linux environments.
I know how to create GUID in Python on Win32
(using pythoncom.CreateGuid), but this is not portable.

Is there any Python module or (at least) Linux library,
which is able to create GUIDs (DCE RPC UUIDs
with proper flags set)?

Any hints or suggestions?

TIA,

Ondra
Ondrej Krajicek                         krajicek at ics.muni.cz
The pain of life never grows dull.         ::Eternal Despair