Cleanest C++ Interface to Python

Brandon Philips brandon at sporknet.cjb.net
Sun Feb 2 17:19:31 EST 2003

I am writing a custom user-level USB-HID driver for a device I created for a
research process.  My colleague who is writing the gui and surrounding
software presented to the user wants to use Python for its obvious
advantages.  My software is all written in "un-managed" C++ compiled with
VC++ 7.0 (or .NET).  Now as I see it I have a few options to give him the
ability to call my "low-level" driver from Python:
SWIG
Embedding Python
Visual Python

My experience with .NET is minimal so if Visual Python requires to much .NET
knowledge I would like to avoid it.  So what option of the three do you
think is the easiest and most viable for an experienced C++ developer who
wants the cleanest interface to Python?