Voting for PEP 308 (was Re: For review: PEP 308 - If-then-else expression)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Feb 9 11:52:40 EST 2003

In article <3E461162.BC849E8F at alcyone.com>,
Erik Max Francis  <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

>So why not just publish the results and leave it at that?  There's no
>need for you to be enforcing supermajorities of an arbitrary ratio.
>Just collect the data and present them to Guido.  Then he'll decide.

Fair enough.

>I'm not saying you're doing it deliberately, or even that you're doing
>it.  My gut reaction is that the declaration of the requirement of a
>supermajority and a "threat" behind the failure of a no-confidence vote
>sounds heavy-handed for someone not making the decision and someone who
>is already on record as not being in favor of the proposal.

<shrug>  Just my attempt to channel Guido.  I'm not wedded to a precise
process, but Guido did make clear on python-dev that he doesn't want to
be involved in the voting process.

>So just give him that.  Take the tally of people who want a conditional
>operator, hand that data to Guido; let _him_ interpret it how he wants
>to.  If he concludes that it warrants approval, then we can move on to
>the preferred syntax (which is a complex issue, since in a vacuum some
>choices might be preferred, but are declared unacceptable by fiat) --
>perhaps something of the form of "Here are n different possibilities for
>the syntax, choose one to three and rank them."

If I chose to take Guido literally, and if I really wanted to kill
conditional expressions, I'd simply take a vote on the proposal listed
in PEP 308.  It's clear to me that many people who would in theory like
conditional expressions hate the infix condition.  I'm trying to do my
best to be fair, but I'm also trying to accomodate Guido's wish to remain
uninvolved.

Register for PyCon now!  http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html