Windows porting questions

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 07:37:51 EST 2003

David McNab wrote:
> * Is Py2EXE really the best approach for dumbing down the Windows
> installation process? If not, then what other approach would let me make a

It's an excellent possibility, but you should also look at Gordon
McMillan's installer for an alternative if py2exe doesn't satisfy you.

> * And, what's the best cross-platform GUI toolbox for Python programmers.
> By 'best', I mean things like:
>   - well documented
>   - not assuming TCL knowledge
>   - doesn't need 95 lines of code or weird abstractions just to open up
>     a window
>   - approachable and simple enough for newcomers, but more advanced
>     features available once the programmer is more up to speed

Since you don't mention "free", or anything like that, I would say
Qt (as wrapped by PyQt) wins hands-down on all criteria.  Just do
prepare to open your wallet (unless you only develop free software
for free platforms -- but, as you want to support Windows, a non-free
platform, you _will_ have to pay some money if you choose Qt).

The superb docs at trolltech's site (for Qt itself, but easily
"mentally translated" into PyQt terms), plus Rempt's excelllent
book, make the "well documented" part a big strength of Qt.
A typical "hello world" might be, e.g. *warning, untested code*:

import sys, qt

app = qt.QApplication(sys.argv)
hello = qt.QPushButton('Hello world!', None)
app.setMainWidget(hello)
hello.show()
app.exec_loop()

which I think answers your "doesn't need 95 lines of code" and
"simple for newcomers" concerns.  Tcl isn't in the picture at
all (I don't think Qt even supports it).  And for advanced uses,
Qt is truly a pleasure to play with -- well-designed, solidly
implemented, a wonderful match for Python's strengths, IMHO.

Alex