Python Imaging Library ... Help!

myk mykbourassa at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 21 23:41:42 EST 2003

I've just killed an evening trying to install the PIL on my HP laptop
(Omni 6000) running Python 2.2.2 on Windows98.  I've tried the binary
for PIL 1.1.2 but it automatically installs in Py22 which isn't the name
of my Python directory.  I also tried unpacking the 1.1.3 tar.gz.  But I
can't seem to get "setup.py" to run.  A dos window winks in and out of
existence but the module can't be imported when I try to do so in IDLE.
 I've tried to figure out what "setup.py" is doing but since I'm a
Python newbie that didn't help.  Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or
how I can very manually get all the files to where they should be?  TIA.

myk