Yet Another Case Question

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon Feb 24 12:49:52 EST 2003

"rzed" <Dick.Zantow at lexisnexis.com> wrote previously:
|My point was that if BAZ is a constant meaning 'frobbish', then trying
|to refer to it as baz would fail now; but it would succeed perfectly
|well in a case-insensitive language

Right.  And exactly symmetrically, suppose the junior/external programmer on
my case-insensitive-language project defines a constant as 'baz' rather
than as 'BAZ'.  In my subsequent code, I am still free to call the
constant BAZ, thereby correctly indicating its purpose when used (even
though the imported module 'constants' doesn't use the canonical form).

The freedom granted in the latter case seems much more Pythonic in
philosophy (albeit not in actual syntactic constraint).  The earlier
programmer provides friendly hints and guidelines for a later one, rather
than constrain precisely what the later one can do through
bondage-and-discipline language rules.

Yours, Lulu...

--
    _/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Postmodern Enterprises _/_/_/