char 128? no... 256

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 11 23:22:20 EST 2003

Afanasiy wrote:

> Ok then what is 8 bits? That's not unicode. I call it extended ascii,
> but I don't really care what it's actually called, I know it as a
> char.

It's "eight bits."

> And I think it's odd that 8 bit char's would need to be converted.

The point is, if you are receiving that error, what you have is a
_Unicode string object_.  You _don't_ have a normal string object that
just happens to have the MSB set in some of the characters.  You have a
Unicode string, and you're trying to convert it to a normal string.

/  \ The multitude of books is making us ignorant.
\__/ Voltaire
    EmPy / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/empy/
 A templating system for Python.