OO patterns with Python

Just just at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 11 17:36:03 EST 2003

In article <3e4975db_2 at news.vo.lu>, "Patrick Useldinger" <no at way.lu>
wrote:

> Maybe... but being a procedural programmer, OO is non-trivial for me,
> whereas most procedural programs *are* easy to read for me if I know the
> programming language.

Python should be perfect for you. I came to Python from Basic,
assembler, Pascal, PostScript and a bit of C; objects were mostly new to
me when I started with Python. Friends had shown C++ and SmallTalk but
that had totally the wrong learning curve for me (being a lazy amateur
programmer). Python makes it real easy as it isn't _purely_ OO, in the
sense that you don't have to write a class to get "hello world" going.
First you start to _use_ objects (eg. files, lists), learn what methods
are. Then you learn what the mechanics of classes are, and you will
slowly learn how to factor things into objects, and at that point
patterns become interesting. Python is great for learning OO gradually.

Just