Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Fri Feb 7 21:51:17 EST 2003

On Saturday 08 February 2003 02:32 am, Andrew Koenig wrote:
> Carlos> I don't think that the code above is much clearer than the
> Carlos> one-liner with the ternary operator.
>
> My experience is that when people say "x is much clearer than y",
> what they are really saying is often "x is more familiar than y".

I fully agree with you - in fact, I think that most people that reacted today
(tonight?) against the PEP are just reacting because the new syntax is not
familiar to them, and the step-by-step evaluation is.

BTW, my background is Pascal, not C/C++; I'm not familiar with ternary
operator either, but I still think that it is a rather succint way to express
some constructs.

Carlos Ribeiro
cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br