Introduction to Socket Programming on Python

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Wed Feb 26 18:43:29 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:38:38AM -0800, bob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good online introduction (with plenty of
> examples) to socket programming in Python?
>
> I've looked at the Socket HOWTO, but it moves quite quickly and
> doesn't have a lot of hands programming in it.

I doubt you really want to work with sockets directly -- there are a number
of libraries for Python that almost certainly do what you want, and are
*much* easier to use than the socket module.  My favourite library for
network programming is Twisted <http://twistedmatrix.com/>, which not only
makes implementing a protocol far easier than using sockets directly, it
also has lots of common protocols already implemented for you.

What are you trying to do?

-Andrew.