PEP 308: "then" "else" for deprecating "and" "or" side effects

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Feb 14 19:28:12 EST 2003

François Pinard wrote:

> If I translate the keywords of our syntax back to English, it gives:
>
>     a when b else c

This doesn't look like a good counter to the `C then x else y' proposal,
since using `when' as the keyboard would imply the same ordering as the
original proposal:

	x when C else y

as in, "Put a jacket on when it's old cold outside, otherwise [else]
where what you want."  This form (with the condition in the middle) has
already been suggested -- in fact, it was one of the first alternatives
to the first if/else proposal brought up.

Using it to mean

	C when x else y

definitely "reads" wrong in English; if you want this form, the `when'
should be a `then'.

/  \ You win the victory when you yield to friends.
\__/ Sophocles
    Bosskey.net: Quake III Arena / http://www.bosskey.net/q3a/
 A personal guide to Quake III Arena.