Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

jerf at compy.attbi.com jerf at compy.attbi.com
Sat Feb 1 19:37:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:21:14 +0000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> I don't have the Python experience.  I do have the C++ experience.  You
> guys' talk of the horror and gloom and doom of C++ sounds like another
> planet to me.  So clearly I'm having some kind of experience in C++ that you
> are not having.  What it sounds like, is you guys blow your legs off with
> all the fancy C++ stuff, because you're in group environments where people
> don't know how to Keep It Simple Stupid.

Fact is, if you aren't aware of the "C++ doom and gloom" you are a really
bad C++ programmer, it's virtually certain you've only worked on toy
problems, and you are going to be bitten in the ass real hard one day.

Good C++ programmers (and there are many in this group, I'd count myself
as one) are aware of the language's strengths, which are also its
weaknesses. If you are really unaware of all of the reasons to be wary of
C++, and can't understand what others are telling you, then you clearly do
not understand the language. It's a good language, and I like it, but it's
one of the most *dangerous* languages still in use.