STV again (was Re: PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression))

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 12 21:07:02 EST 2003

Manuel Garcia wrote:

> One problem though, there would be so many ways to "slice-and-dice"
> the results, you could prove almost anything.  The Pro and Con people
> will twist the statistics to show a majority of c.l.p agrees with
> them.

This constitutes one of my only reservations about involved voting
procedures:  how to reasonably present the results of a vote where
people are really voting yes/no/abstain on n different things at once.

The other concern would be that if the voting process itself is too
complicated (votes must be PGP signed) or is not clear (read these five
paragraphs explaining this voting procedure which you're not familiar
with), then it will drive away potential voters due to simple lack of
convenience, polarizing the results even more.

/  \ If you can't fight and you can't flee, flow.
\__/ Robert Elliot
    Physics reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/physics/
 A physics reference.