How to use setup.py to compile a C extension rather than to install it

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Mon Feb 17 07:08:35 EST 2003

Xiao-Qin Xia <xx758 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi, there,
>
> I am trying to write a C extension for my python scripts, to use distutils
> offered by Python to write a setup.py is quite convient, however it seems
> the setup.py alway installs the C extension to site-package, while I want
> keep the c extension in the same original directory with my python scripts.
> Anybody can tell me how to do this?

Are you doing 'install' rather than 'build'? Try this instead:

$ python setup.py build

this will build the C extension in a directory buid/lib-$platform$pythonversion

For testing, I either have a shell open in that directory or add it to
sys.path.

If you want the extension to be built in the same directory as setup.py, use:

$ python setup.py build --build-lib=.

But I don't like that, as it clutters up my source directory.

HTH,
--
Gerhard Häring
OPUS GmbH München