Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 24 07:33:24 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message
news:_8I%9.6367$6P2.713325 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> >> From: Brandon Van Every [mailto:vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com]
> >>
> >> C++ is not the bottleneck of my current development.  At this
> >> stage I spend
> >> far, far more time figuring out how to objectify various 3D
> >> mathematical
> >> constructs.  I would have the same problems of mathematical
> >> decomposition in
> >> any language.  Development is slow for *that* reason, not C++.
> >
> > May I suggest that you try experimenting and prototyping those
> > constructs in Python, rather than just thinking about them.
>
> Hm, which would I prefer:
>
> 1) set up a new tools environment, learn a new language, figure out how to
> integrate Python with my existing code, think for 1/2 hour, prototype a
tiny
> bit of incremental functionality with Python, decide whether to keep
Python
> or convert it to C++.
>
> 2) think for 1/2 hour, write it in C++.
>
> I don't gain any economies of scale using Python to solve problems I
already
> know how to solve in C++.  In fact, I lose weeks screwing around with new
> ways of doing things.  Those are weeks I don't have right now.  My C++
> approach is quite efficient for the problems I'm currently working on.
That
> is the crux of the matter; some people don't want to accept it.

Well, since you've already made up your mind about the relative merits of
time investment in each language it's hardly likely that anything as simple
as rational behavior will change it.

> > I've
> > always found that I'm better at visualising and designing things if I
> > can play with something that works or almost works. Most importantly,
> > I'm more likely to find the limitations of an approach if I'm playing
> > with it than if I'm just thinking about it or writing it down.
>
> That's what incremental development is for.  I don't know *why* 3 lines on
> my spherical triangle converge to a normal.  The paper math was too
> involved, I didn't want to spend another half day chasing that rabbit.
But
> hey, run the combos, diff the normals, notice in the debugger that they
> converge within the accuracy of float vectors.  Must be mathematically
true.
> Or at least, seems damn likely given what else I know.  10 minutes of
> thinking instead of a half day.

But I hardly think that Fermat thought "hey, I've tried a few numbers now,
this result must be true for all positive exponents". Deep results require
deep thought, and a feww runs through a debugger isn't a proof. The fact
that a proof exists simply allows you to check the accuracy of your
programming. It's OK to trust someone else's mathematics. But concluding
that debug output from a few test cases means something must be
mathematically true ... sheesh.

As for not wanting to spend half a day chasing that rabbit, the available
evidence is that you prefer arguing to programming.

> Before there was Python, there was functional decomposition, and building
> applications from primitives.  I don't know why people resist the idea
that
> this can be productive no matter what the language.

Of course it can. And if you build bottom up you can end up with a usable
toolkit in any language, even assembler. You might even say that bottom-up
modular programming was a logical precursor to XP. That doesn't negate the
fact that for many problem domains assembler isn't the most productive
labgyuage. Neither, as I seem to remember several well-qualified locutors
have pointed out, is C++. Neither, for that matter, is Python. If language
choice is a religious issue, however, any opposing point of view apparently
becomes sacreligious.

> > If nothing else, it will give you another viewpoint to work from ;)
>
> I'll get into Python when I finally hit jobs that C++ cannot do well.

You'll get into Python when hell freezes over. As far as I can tell you've
already spent far more time on this thread than it would take an
averagely-competent programmer to produce their first significant Python
program. I therefore conclude you're here for the ten-pound argument and
that you, sir, are a troll.

don't-tell-me,-I-just-got-plonked-ly y'rs  - steve
Register for PyCon now!            http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html