where python is slower?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 6 05:30:22 EST 2003

Enrique Palomo wrote:
> At job, i must work with great size text files (up to 2 Gb)
> I would like to know where python is slower, reading files, writing,
> string manipulation...

There was a thread recently on parsing huge files.  It's titled
"looking for speed-up ideas" and started by Ram Bhamidipaty on
2003/Feb/03 .

The fasted combination of grep/sort was 8 seconds but only gave a
minimal solution.  The fastest complete solution, in Python, was about
16 seconds.  The slowest ones were a bit over 30 seconds.

That means Python isn't as slow as you might think.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com