Tutorial on how to use Emacs to program Python

Andrew McGregor andrew at indranet.co.nz
Fri Feb 21 20:41:48 EST 2003

--On Friday, February 21, 2003 21:55:03 +0800 Peter Wu
<peterwu at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Klaus Momberger <klausm0762 at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>> put this into your _emacs/.emacs :
>>
>> (setq load-path (cons "c:/emacs-20.7/lisp" load-path))
>> (setq auto-mode-alist (append '(("\\.py$"  . python-mode))
>> auto-mode-alist))
>
> Thanks. This works. :)
>
> However, I'm wondering why I don't need any lines in .emacs when I do
> cc-mode in GNU Emacs. Any hints?

All current emacsen have an enormous default configuration file compiled
into them, as well as XEmacs having a way to run the initialisation code of
packages at startup.  So the cc-mode initialisation (which is much larger
than the python mode initialisation) is already there.  Had you been
running an XEmacs, python mode would have been installed by default as well.

Andrew