Embedded Python Linking Problem

Lexy Zhitenev zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru
Wed Feb 26 07:03:16 EST 2003

"Ian Terrell" <kife00 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5b6217b0.0302252120.41ab7307 at posting.google.com...

> Indeed that is the problem.  Doing a Gnome search for file
> "libpython2.2.so" shows no results.  I do find a "libpython2.2.a" in
> /usr/lib/python2.2/config.  Compiling with various flags on g++ with
> libpython2.2.a does not work.

Certainly, it shouldn't. libpython2.2.a is only a -link- library. You use it
to link C/C++ programs to your shared object.

> To install Python I simply did a ./configure;make.  Is there anything
> more to do to get libpython2.2.so?

If you had no libpython2.2.so, you couldn't ever run any Python program,
even python interpreter! If you can, you do have libpython2.2.so.

You showed a simple program. It can be compiled with gcc also. Try using it.
On Windows, I compile Python extensions/embeddings with MinGW gcc. g++
doesn't work. The errors are like yours.