interacting with gui-based programs

Noah noah at noah.org
Tue Feb 25 02:41:31 EST 2003

googlegroups at thuswise.com (Dave) wrote in message news:<33b7435c.0302200444.26c7073 at posting.google.com>...

> I've had some success using Expect (which is based on TCL). It redirects
> the tty of a shell session, both in and out, so that keystrokes from the
> user may be scripted, and output parsed and analysed. In other words, to
> script an interactive session.
> The good news is that there are a couple of Python implementations of
> Expect. One (the one I happen to prefer) is pure Python, and the other
> is a wrapper around the original. Do a Google for pyExpect or expectpy.
> I can't remember which is which off the top of my head.

Yeah, Google for PEXPECT -- I know because I wrote it :-)
(with lots of good input and bug fixes from many users)

Go here to find it:
        http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/

I totally respect Don Libes' Expect, but I'm
sooo glad that I don't have to mess with TCL anymore.

This sort of thing always struck me as 1980's technology, but
I'm always amazed how it comes in handy.

Yours,
Noah